Friday, May 27, 2011

The hardest scratch build projects- annoying curves

Ask any scratch builder what the most difficult piece to replicate is and without a doubt they will bemoan the curved edges in the xenos vehicles of 40k, specifically the Tau and the Eldar.  I myself have made an attempt on a few occasions to replicate the vehicles of the Eldar in order to save cash in this wondrous hobby of ours.

Behold, my only Eldar model success to date (sorta).


I can hear what you are saying in your minds; "Krisken, there is no way that is finished!"  This is absolutely true.  There is a ton of work to do on this piece, especially the base, but I think it shows what a little dedication and hard work can accomplish if you put your mind to it.  The toes, legs, arms, and gun barrels are all made out of resin, which was poured into molds made using Instant Mold (which I got from here).  The shoulder pads, waist and chest pieces are all using plasticard For Sale signs.  The fins in the back are card stock pieces cut to an appropriate size.


 Much of the model isn't perfect, though.  There are places I wish I had been more exacting.  The head was constructed first to resemble the actual Revenant Titan head, but I soon realized how my poor sculpting ability wasn't going to hold up vs scrutiny.  Instead, I decided I would attempt to emulate the Wraith Guard and Wraith Lord heads of old, focusing on the Iyanden style that appealed to me early in the first place.


And that, as they say, is that.  Unfortunately, since curves are so hard to replicate and give proper instructions for a model as subjective as this (and this involved a lot of sanding of a toxic substance- wear breath masks when doing so, folks!), there won't be a tutorial on this model.  It's just too complex and cumbersome to try to give precise instructions.  Don't let that stop you from trying, though!  It's our failures that drive us to excel and improve upon the designs of old.

I look forward to beginning the Dreadclaw instruction post on Monday.  Have a pleasant weekend folks!

2 comments:

  1. Ah yes... Bondo or a similar automotive filler and a truckload of sandpaper? Been there, done that, back when I was a kid. I'd point you to Maschinen Krieger websites and forums, if you want to see good examples of scratchbuilding curvacious (what a word to use here) things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, fantastic site Marcin! After I get ahead on the upcoming tutorial I will definitely be spending a lot of time sifting through the sites and forums!

    ReplyDelete