Friday, April 20, 2012

Battle damage Space Marines

Since I've been feeling a bit of hobby burnout as of late I decided it might be fun to share the battle damage I added to the Pride of the Emperor custom chapter troops and characters I've been working on.


First up is the Librarian in Terminator armor I modified from a normal Assault Terminator set, adding the book to the shoulder pad.


Sanguinary Priest in Terminator armor #1


Sanguinary Priest in Terminator Armor #2


Sanguinary Priest in Terminator armor #3





And of course the troops which go in all those vehicles I scratch built.  As you can see, I've gone a little overboard in the battle damage, but I still like how it looks.  Unfortunately I can't do any weathering since I don't have weathering pigments and I'm not certain where to start.  Anyone able to recommend a good brand or color which would work well with this bunch?

7 comments:

  1. I think the battle damage looks good. I think the book pages should be slightly darker (like a tan instead of white) and the text on them should be a dark grey instead of black. It just jumps out way too much for the model.

    As far as powders, I'm a big fan of Secret Weapon powders. Working weathering powders into your scheme might change your basing colors slightly, but it would tie your guys into their environment nicely.
    Greta job on these guys!

    Ron, FTW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're spot on with the book and how to improve it (It's been bugging me since I started the model way back when!). Tomorrow is a good day to get on that for sure.

      I'll give the SW powders a try as soon as I have a few extra nickels to spend. I've heard good things on them and I'll be sure to check out your 'how to' on using the powders and link to the article when I do.

      Thanks Ron, I'm glad you like the custom chapter :)

      Delete
  2. I remember when you were working on these guys a while ago with their blades/weapons. Glad to see they come this far and you're happy with them.

    I think the powders will push them to the next level if you find it's something you like on models.

    Ron, FTW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And that's exactly it, too; I need to take it to the next level. I've moved on to battle damage (though I'm going to restrict that to the Space Marine army as I think it would look very out of place on the Eldar) and begun using the leaf litter to add a little color to the bases, though I feel I need to use the darker leaf litter in addition to the light green I have already used here. Weathering powders are the next obvious step.

      Thanks for your comments, Ron. I find your advice invaluable and it has really helped me to push my modeling/painting beyond my expectations.

      Delete
    2. Are you kidding, it's you guys that push me to keep trying new things.
      Ron, FTW

      Delete
  3. Nice looking battle damage. The punch daggers are cool too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Baraccas! I initially struggled with how to turn these guys into Assault Marines as I foolishly bought Tactical Marines instead. I think the change went over rather well.

      Delete