Monday, October 3, 2011

Making it all come together

Evening all!  Today I'm going to cover the hobby progress I've made with the army I've been rebuilding and share some images with all of you.

This is where the floaty head Horror of Tzeentch are right now.  It's obviously in the early stages, but the plan is to transition from the blue body to red/yellow flames on the head.  There will also be a lightening in areas of the face and detail work done for the eyes and the teeth.  Twenty eight of these may take me a couple of days to complete, though.

This is the Flamer of Tzeentch attached to the detailed base from the other day.  I've applied all seventeen Flamers to their bases, but have a detail to add to various bases.

This is the beginning of the chariot base.  Of course, I haven't built the chariot yet, but that will come with time I'm sure.

This base will be for the Blue Scribes.  The disc they ride is way too big for a regular infantry base, so I opted for a terminator sized base.

Finally, finished the sword for the second Soul Grinder.  Still may do a bit more detail on the skull bit, but for now this is a finished product.

Overall, a lot of progress has been made over the last four days.


  1. Awesome! Loving how the floating head is coming along, and the flamer looks sweet. Great color gradient you have there. Keep up the great work!

  2. I'll certainly try! I'm hoping to have everything finished (including repainting some models/creating chariots) by sometime November, so hopefully I'll have an army wide image by then. We shall see!

  3. Forgive my ignorance, but casting resin bases seems like a lot of effort (to someone who has never tried resin casting before). What's the advantage, compared to sculpting each individually? Is it that it's quicker or cheaper?

  4. Initially resin casting is a huge pain in the rump. It's messy stuff and finding a quick and if you use a rubber cast it gets even messier.

    I've been using InstaMold plastic to make small molds to avoid the rubber molding process. Resin does heat up to cure, but in small amounts doesn't get hot enough to melt the InstaMold plastic mold.

    To give an idea on what a time saver casting is- last night I made a headlight for the tanks I'm building. It took me 3 hours to build it using plasticard and glue, getting the right sizes I wanted. Today I made a mold of the item and cast it 3 more times, taking less than 2 hours.

    So in short, much faster. If you don't use the rubber molding and use a mold you can recast over and over again, it is cheaper as well.

  5. Thanks for the reply - and sorry for putting it on the wrong thread (really it should have been here: ).

    I certainly see the advantage with things like your scratchbuilt headlight. I wasn't so sure about bases, since I wouldn't have thought making three new scenic bases with milliput would take 2 hours. But maybe it's less hassle.

  6. Absolutely, Ben. Always happy to answer questions.

    Something I didn't cover in my response was cure times, which is the real reason the resin is faster to make. The resin will harden and lose all sense of softness within 30 minutes. Milliput/Green Stuff/etc have much longer cure times. If you are making 3 or 4 bases I'd suggest going with just the Milliput/Green Stuff, of course. With 40+ though I'd definitely suggest making a mold and resin casting them.

  7. Thanks. I guess like many things it's an investment that takes time initially and pays off in the longer term. I don't think I'm persuaded enough to take the plunge personally, given that my needs are more modest. But it's always useful to see how others go about things.

  8. Glad I could help Ben. I can see how the investment wouldn't benefit the average player. For people like myself who are constantly making new stuff, though, the InstaMold and resin are invaluable.