Sunday, July 28, 2013

Scratch Built Horrors All Painted Up

Welcome back to SB40k one and all.  I've made some huge strides in my progress this week, completing the painting portion of the Brain/Horrors of Tzeentch.  Ninety Horrors now sit happily within their protective foam, awaiting the next step in the modeling process- basing.




This is ten of the bunch completed so far.  I've been unsure how to continue with the Iridescent Horrors which will accompany these units, and while I'm not 100% sure the process I have in mind will work, it's going to be fun to try!

So to tally what I've completed so far for Daemons, I have 90 completed Horrors, a brain piloting a spaceship to act as a Lord of Change or Fateweaver, a winged Nurgle Prince, 6 blight drones (which I could use as Daemon Princes or Plague Drones if I chose), 16 Flesh Hounds of Khorne, 18 Screamers of Tzeentch, all scratch built.

Progress can seem slow, but as of now I can easily build a 1850 to 2k.  Hopefully soon I'll have more options available to me to help modify my lists as I see fit.

Unfortunately, I am a little stuck with the Horrors now.  What I want to do is create a bloody water effect for around the bases of the green rocks (hence the raised edges on the bases).  I've used Woodland Scenics Water Effects in the past but that has been a bit disappointing.  The effects doesn't cure properly and remains soft.  If the pieces sit on their side the water effect eventually gets outside of the piece or bubbles up, looking silly in the process.

What I think will work better is a clear resin with a red coloring added.  It has to be clear-ish so the effects underneath on the bases are visable (the hands and skulls present in about half the pieces).  If anyone has experience with a 2 part clear resin which would work for me, please let me know!

Till next week, happy gaming!

4 comments:

  1. I've used a product called Envirotex, which is a bar lacquer. It can easily be tinted with paint/ink to the color you want. If you're careful, you can easily make sure there are no bubbles, just need to be patient.

    http://www.diy-terrain.com/tag/modular-river/

    Here's the project I used it on.

    It was a bit of a pain to work with, but if I were to do it again, it would go much smoother than than the first time around.

    -Bill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just might do that, Bill. I did do a test piece where I painted the bottom of the base a dark red with bright red highlights, which looks great but I think it still needs depth added to it.

      Your river looks fantastic, by the way!

      Delete
  2. Hi krisken,

    Just found your blog. Have you thought about using some of the "tamiya clear" coloured range on your bases?

    Also, on a side note, when I first saw your horrors I immediately thought "enslavers". Either way, their great proxies.

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, that is an excellent suggestion. I think that might be perfect to put on top of the clear resin. I'll give that a test!

      Glad you like the Horrors :) They're great thematically to have as a hoard on the table and were fun to put together and paint.

      Delete