Sunday, October 20, 2013

Heldrake in black, base finished

Well, now we're getting somewhere, aren't we!  Welcome back everyone to SB40k and my continuing journey to complete just one Heldrake I converted from a Soul Grinder's legs and building materials.

I don't have a lot to show, really, but it is starting to at least look impressive.  I've been able to get some work done on the base and even set up the black base coat.  Lets get right to it, shall we?

I really should have worked on the lighting and diffused the light from the top, but for our purposes this should work fine.  Overall I'm happy with how the top of the vehicle looks, almost spine-like in nature but not so much it looks unrealistic.

The base turned out great, though.  Really happy with how the water effects looks on the base and even tried out mixing green permanent ink and it hasn't hurt the water effects.  This gives me hope for the red ink I plan to use for the bloody water on the Horror models and was a fairly safe test.

Anyways, hope you like how it's going so far and I'll try to have something for next week.  Till then, happy building!

Sunday, October 13, 2013

Time for Heldrake Engines

It's that time again, scratch build fans!  Time to give a small update on the progress I've made on those Heldrakes, focusing on the engines I've put together.

I opted for a simple design, hexagonal in nature.  I decided not to worry about making sure each of the angles was the same, but made each side the same length.  In this instance the engines are wider than they are tall.

The most difficult decision was deciding how to proceed after making this piece.  I ultimately chose to use the ridged caps from my Alumilite resin bottles.  They have a great stepped ridge in a circular pattern, perfect for the exhaust portion of the engine.

So far, the heldrake is looking pretty good.  I'm not sold on the top, though.  I may tear it apart and try to fix the upper portion, perhaps try to make it look more like a spine and less like pieces added to the top.