Monday, July 30, 2012

Bases are Important Too

Welcome back all you fellow hobby addicts!  I've been feverishly working on the Nurgle Chaos Daemon army, and though it's coming along nicely, I'd like to spend a minute talking about the importance of miniature bases while sharing them.

Back in the day (as us aging hobbyists begin all our discussions) it wasn't uncommon to see entire armies based with a little gravel and flocking.  Today, though, the bases of armies have taken on entire characters of their own.  An unfinished base can detract heavily from the look of an army.

Here is the flying Daemon Prince of Nurgle I've been working on for the last couple weeks.  The base I sculpted using green stuff, painted up and added some Nurglings for some character.  Still, the base appeared to be sorta bare despite all this.  However, after adding some flock and chopping up some Hobby Lobby flower bits, the base has a character all its own.

Here you can see the effect applied to 3 groups of 7 Nurglings.  As you can see, the bushes are alien enough to fit in with the landscape already on the base while adding much needed color to the bases.  While I used to neglect this portion of the army for a long time myself, I've found the bases should be treated as miniatures themselves.  If you can do this, you'll be able to tie your army together while at the same time adding another aspect of character to your units.

Sunday, July 22, 2012

Nurglings, Nurglings, Everywhere!

Good day all you fine folk.  I've been constantly finagling with what I hope will be my main 6th edition army in the last couple weeks, but one thing has remained constant- Nurglings.  These little guys lost quite a bit in the edition change with not being able to Go To Ground and gain an additional cover bonus, but like all Daemon models gained staying power when in combat due to the removal of Fearless wounds at the end of lost combat.

Since these cute little guys are probably going to be a mainstay of my Nurgle Daemon lists, I've been working extra hard to complete them.  This is what I have so far.

I still like the bases, but I'm definitely going to get some flower components to add, along with a little grass and trimmings.  I like how they are turning out so far, though.  Since I plan on 21 bases, they tend to take a long time to paint.

What concerns me is how things will change with the new Chaos Space Marines book due out in a month or two.  At the moment running a large squad of Plague Marines and an HQ choice like Typhus seems to fit perfectly with the needs of the army, but that might change quite a bit when the new book comes out.  Either way, we'll have a lot of choices, hopefully with a lot of Nurgle marked units to help with tallies.  The Tally Man must keep track!

Till next week!

Wednesday, July 18, 2012

25mm bases painted up

Welcome back to SB40k.  Today I'm going to show off some of the 25mm bases I made for my Nurgle troops.  However, the Plaguebearers aren't quite ready so I'll be showing the converted Plaguebearers that are representing Flamers of Nurgle (Tzeentch).

As you can see, I've followed the same style as on the 60mm bases I've made for the Daemon Princes.  I found the pods in the center of the base a little awkward to work around and place the models on, but they weren't too difficult to adjust.  I'm also thinking of adding Nurglings to bases which have the space to permit it, giving the sense that the little buggers are everywhere.

Hopefully next week I'll have some of those based as well.  With the changes that have come from 5th edition to 6th, there isn't a whole lot which I plan to change other than adding some Chaos Space Marine allies, probably lose the Plaguebearer-Flamers (shame since they are so neat), and add Epidemius.  Fliers will invariably run uncontested against my army, but I might be able to pull out wins in the table quarters category.  We shall see!

Monday, July 16, 2012

Late post this week

Sorry all, these bases are taking a LONG time to paint!  Hopefully in a day or two I'll have a proper update to share.

Thanks for understanding!


Monday, July 9, 2012

Daemon Prince and Base all painted up

Well here it is, folks.  It took about a month to complete but I think it was worth the effort.  Painting the base took a lot less time than I thought it would, clocking in at around 2 hours from initial base coat to adding the Daemon Prince.

I haven't decided yet, but I may attempt some tall grass around the brass tube which holds the big guy aloft, perhaps some other vegetation pieces to help differentiate the bases which will end up looking the same if I'm not careful.

As always, comments and criticisms are welcome!

Friday, July 6, 2012

Fickle Friday- 60mm Base for Nurgle

Very short post for you folks on this fickle Friday.  This is the base I sculpted using the mixture of green stuff and Aves Apoxie Sculpt.

This is the first of 3 I plan to make for the Nurgle Daemon army I've been working on.  Poisonous looking plants, strange terrain, and perhaps add some decaying, deceased body parts to the terrain and some maggots and it would be perfect for the army.

Monday, July 2, 2012

Daemon Prince wings are completed

Hello everyone, welcome back to the continuing picture story on the progress of my mostly scratch built Daemon Prince of Nurgle.

To make the wings I used some leftover plastic casing and cut it to the shape I wanted.  I then sanded both sides with some fine grit sand paper and then drew my lines.

Still, there's a lot to do yet.  I'd like to do more highlighting on the boils and there are open sores and bones still exposed which need some detailing.  Overall, though, I'm quite pleased with the monstrosity.  He is actually a little bigger than a Great Unclean One!